Spring is one of the best seasons to visit Washington D.C. The winter cold has ended, the summer heat hasn’t arrived yet, and the city dazzles with beautiful flowers and trees.
Whether you’re heading to the city for the cherry blossoms, spring break, or a long weekend, Washington D.C. offers plenty of fun activities for all interests and ages.
Here are 10 of our favorite things to do in Washington D.C. in the spring:
1. Enjoy the cherry blossoms. Any list of D.C. spring events has to include the famous cherry blossoms! The city boasts 3,000 cherry trees and the National Park Service predicts that peak bloom will occur from March 18 – March 23 this year. Stroll along the scenic Tidal Basin for the best photo ops. The National Cherry Blossom Festival will run from March 20 – April 17 and includes live music, a kite festival, fireworks, a parade and much more. Check out the festival website for details.
2. Get sporty. Cheer on the Washington Nationals, who kick off their 2016 season on April 1, or the D.C. United soccer team. If you’re feeling athletic yourself, the city offers many great places for walking, jogging and biking. And if running is your thing, the Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Marathon takes participants past historic landmarks.
3. Celebrate international culture. Travel around the world without leaving the city during the month-long Passport D.C. celebration in May. This popular annual event includes embassy open houses, workshops, festivals, performances and more.
4. Head to the zoo. Celebrate the start of the new season with the 2,000 animals at National Zoo. The pandas, including a new cub, are a must-see.
5. Take a hike. Head to Great Falls Park for beautiful river views and fun trails. Bring a picnic lunch and make a day of it.
6. Find a festival. This spring, Washington D.C. will be home to festivals focused on food, film, literature, science, culture and much more. Check out this list for ideas and info.
7. Get some flower power. The 77th annual National Cathedral Flower Mart will be held on the grounds of the Washington National Cathedral May 6 – May 7. You can purchase plants, take a garden tour, view landscape exhibits and enjoy some fun family time during the children’s activities.
8. Experience Chinese culture. The Washington D.C. Dragon Boat Festival will be held along the Potomac River May 21 – May 22. There will be craft demonstrations, cultural exhibitions, and dragon boat racing, of course.
9. Walk a heritage trail. The city has a number of Neighborhood Heritage Trails that provide a fun and healthy way to learn history and experience the city. The tours are self-guided, so you can easily stop and eat, shop or rest.
10. Visit historic Mount Vernon. Spring is a great time to tour George Washington’s home and stroll the beautiful grounds. And the popular Spring Wine & Sunset tour is marking its 20th anniversary this year!
Ready to check out all the fun things to do in Washington D.C. in the spring? Our professional car services can help you get to and from the airport and around town in comfort and style. And it only takes a moment to get an instant rate quote.